ST JOSEPH’S PARISH, TAKAPUNA
Reporting to: Parish Priest, Parish Finance Council (property matters only)
Hours: 10-15 per week (flexible)
Purpose: To support the Parish Priest in the general management and administration of the parish, the maintenance of parish property, and to support where necessary the activities of office and maintenance staff;
Property & Maintenance
- Carry out regular inspections of parish grounds and buildings across the three properties; arrange all necessary maintenance and repair work across the three churches and properties of the parish; liaise with and oversee external contractors / tradespeople and obtain quotations from suppliers and building firms for more significant expenditure.
- Ensure that all properties and contents are always maintained in a safe and secure condition to comply with insurance and legal requirements and that relevant property matters are recorded in parish’s historic records.
- Liaise with St Joseph’s School and Rosmini College regarding property matters that relate to the schools; and with diocesan personnel regarding property matters relating to St Joseph’s Centre.
- General oversight of church renovation projects, liaising with builders, architects and others as required, co-ordination with project groups within the parish community.
- Ensure all office equipment (photocopier, computers etc) is maintained in good working order, arrange for any necessary repairs, servicing and updates and ensure all supplies are ordered in a timely manner and sufficient stock maintained.
Health & Safety
- Comply with health and safety policies and procedures relating to the parish work environment in a safe and responsible manner, while also contributing to these policies and procedures by providing feedback and suggestions to promote continuous improvement.
- Report all injuries, incidents and hazards in a timely manner including early reporting of any pain or discomfort. Take an active role in any treatment and rehabilitation plan in the case of injury or illness, to ensure an “early and durable return to work”.
- At all times demonstrate the best health and safety behavior to support a positive health and safety culture.
Key Competencies/skills required:
- An understanding of, and demonstrated respect for, the teachings and practices of the Catholic Church;
- IT Competency including especially MS Office Suite
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to prioritise work and manage time, including meeting deadlines.
- Self-motivating and enthusiastic about working collaboratively.
- Willingness to work flexible hours as needed including evening, Saturdays and Sundays.
- Experience and proven ability in property management
- Able to work collaboratively in a team.
- Appreciation of the cultural diversity of the parish.
- Able to relate confidently and effectively with other staff, external contractors, priests and parishioners.
- A high level of personal responsibility and reliability – able to take initiative to solve issues as they arise and recommend strategies and solutions.
- Parish priest and assistant priests
- Parish staff – paid and unpaid.
- Parish Pastoral and Finance Councils
- Diocesan staff
- Property managers of St Joseph’s School and Rosmini College
Please contact the Parish Office for further details: PH 09 489 6486 (office) or 09 489 6338 (Presbytery)